Today I looked at the work I needed to do and then had an urge to call my best friend . You may call it procrastination, I like think it was my subconscious 😉
Now i’m crap with dates, I’ve been friends with her for well over 13 years and I still get her birthdate wrong!! So todays date didn’t ring any bells… but its a biggie for her…
This time last year she was stabbed in the chest by some nutter one snowy morning, moments after getting off the phone from me … it was looking like just a normal day untill that moment.I watched my best friend fall apart, strangely in the most gracious way. She kept her head up, even when she was so far lost it seemed there was nothing there. Without writing an essay on it I cant really explain to you what this did to her. It seems everything around her fell apart and just stopped fitting together. I watch her trudging through mud, but it wasnt a depressing thing to watch, Yes it was desperately painful, but she was so positive and inspiring, because she never lost focus. Even the darkest times she didn’t fight her emotions, she just graciously accepted this was all part of the healing journey.
This year has been about getting back towards a life that she lost and building strength not just emotionally but physically too.
She is my hero.
She said to me today ‘ I just wanted to say thank you for always being there, but thank you doesn’t seem enough’ It was such a lovely thing to say, and I was really touched, BUT the thanks goes 2 ways… I can’t thank HER enough for letting me in. (So I take your gratitude bird and raise you one!) ;)I have learnt so so so much on her journey;
- We must be gracious in everything we do.
- We never ever know whats going to happen in 3 seconds time.
- We can ALL be lulled into the false sence of security, of a comfortable and predictable life.
- We have to appreciate everyone in our life.. and when you appreciate and love (and let them know) then magical things happen .
- And with all of this in mind, all of a sudden the seeminly annoying, frustrating and sometimes painful things in our life are things we should not put energy into because they really are meaningless in the grand scheem of things. Its the simple things in life that are meaningful, the things we’d really miss if we gave them half a thought.
So say your last words every moment, share your love every second, forgive, and always keep your arms open to those you love.
~Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again. ~Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing. ~True courage is not the absence of fear – but the willingness to proceed in spite of it.
And for you Mrs… my Hero. I love you for always .